Authors: Michael Murray, Joseph Pizzorno, Lara Pizzorno
ISBN-13: 9780743480529, ISBN-10: 074348052X
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group
Date Published: September 2005
Michael T. Murray, N.D., is widely regarded as one of the worldÕs leading authorities on natural medicine. He has been featured on numerous television programs, including 20/20 and Dateline. He lives in Washington.
Dr. Joseph Pizzorno is cofounder of Bastyr University, the first accredited multidisciplinary university of natural medicine in the United States.
Lara Pizzorno, M.A., L.M.T., is a health writer and medical editor with more than twenty years of experience.
From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything edible
As countless studies have affirmed, diet plays a major role in both provoking and preventing a wide range of diseases. But just what is a healthy diet? What does the body need to stay strong and get well? In The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods, Michael T. Murray, N.D., and Joseph Pizzorno, N.D., two of the world's foremost authorities on nutrition and wellness, draw on an abundant harvest of research to present the best guide available to healthy eating.
Make healthy eating a lifetime habit.
Let The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods teach you how to:
Providing the best natural remedies for everyday aches and pains, as well as potent protection against serious diseases, The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods is a required daily health reference.
Part I Basic Principles of a Good Diet
1. Human Nutrition: An Evolutionary Perspective
2. Designing a Healthy Diet
3. Safe Eating
Part II Food Components
5. Carbohydrates and Dietary Fiber
9. Accessory Nutrients and Phytochemicals
Part III Compendium of Healing Foods
10. The Healing Power of Vegetables
11. The Healing Power of Fruits
12. The Healing Power of Grains
13. The Healing Power of Legumes (Beans)
14. The Healing Power of Nuts, Seeds, and Oils
15. The Healing Power of Herbs and Spices
16. The Healing Power of Fish and Shellfish
17. The Healing Power of Milk and Other Dairy Products
18. The Healing Power of Meat and Poultry
19. The Healing Power of Miscellaneous Foods
Part IV Food Prescriptions for Specific Diseases
20. Promoting Health and Healing with Food
Appendix A Glycemic Index, Carbohydrate Content, and Glycemic Load of Selected Foods
Appendix B Acid-Alkaline Values of Selected Foods
Appendix C Pesticide Content of Popular Fruits and Vegetables
Appendix D Oxalate Content of Selected Foods
Appendix E Food-Drug Interactions
Appendix F Nutrient Content of Selected Foods per 31/2-Ounce (100 Gram) Serving